There’s a common misconception that insulation adds warmth.
Rather, insulation on garage doors typically decelerates heat transfer through an insulated barrier, a vital feature in cold and hot weather. In other words, it helps to regulate the temperature within your garage, preventing extreme cold or heat from seeping in.
Insulation is vital, especially when the garage is attached to your home, and can impact the temperature of other parts of your house. It’s also a great way to save energy bills.
So, should you buy an insulated garage door? Let’s find out.
What Is an Insulated Garage Door?
An insulated garage door is a garage door that has additional insulation material added to its construction. This added insulation serves several purposes:
- Regulate the temperature within your garage and prevent warm air from escaping during the cooler months and hot air from entering during the warmer months.
- Save energy and money by reducing the heat or cool air escaping your home through the garage’s perimeter.
- Improve your property’s home value by improving overall energy efficiency.
- Reduce noise inside and outside the garage, creating a quieter environment.
- Protect your garage door from damage caused by elements, such as temperature changes and moisture, extending its lifespan.
How to Know If Your Garage Door Is Insulated
It’s not always easy to know if your garage door is insulated, especially if you’ve never had to purchase one, but there are a few ways to find out:
- Check the manufacturer’s label or installation manual indicating whether the garage door is insulated.
- You may also discover the insulation’s R-value – the insulation’s effectiveness.
- Uninsulated garage doors have one layer of material, whereas insulated garage doors have at least two.
- Check for insulation material on the garage door’s interior. You might spot polystyrene panels or polyurethane foam.
- Tap the garage door with your hand or a tool. A solid and dull sound means the doors in insulated, contrasting a hollow and echoey noise for a non-insulated door.
- Check for temperature variations. A significant temperature difference between your garage and your home’s exterior may mean your garage door needs to be insulated.
Types of Garage Door Insulation
Several types of insulation for garage doors are available in Fort Worth, each with unique features, strengths, and drawbacks.
Some can provide better insulation and are more effective than others. The most common insulation available are:
- Polystyrene comes in the form of rigid, moisture-resistant, waterproof, and durable foam. The main types of polystyrene used to insulate doors include
- Expanded polystyrene (EPS) – R-value R-6.5 to R-6.8 per inch of thickness
- Extruded polystyrene (XPS) – R-value R-5 per inch
- Polyisocyanurate (polyiso) – R-value R-3.8 per inch
Polystyrene is relatively easy to install; the foam fills the cavities between garage door panels, resulting in better insulation and increased durability.
With an R-Value R‑16 per inch, Polyurethane is much denser foam sprayed into each garage door panel, creating much more rigid and tight insulation. It provides superior insulation properties compared to polystyrene panels, making it a good choice for extreme climates.
However, you’ll pay more, and having an expert install it appropriately is better.
Fiberglass Batt Insulation
Fiberglass batt insulation consists of layers of fiberglass insulation with a paper or foil facing. It can be cut to fit your garage door and is relatively affordable.
However, it’s less effective than other types of insulation, with an R-Value of 2.9 – 3.8 per inch, and can be challenging to install.
Radiant Barrier Insulation
Radiant barrier is made of a layer of foil with a layer of bubble wrap or foam. This insulation reflects heat into the garage, keeping it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
It’s lightweight and easy to install, making it a good choice for DIYers.
Cellulose insulation is made from recycled paper and cardboard treated with fire retardant chemicals, then ground into tiny fibers.
With an R-value of R-3.5 per inch, cellulose insulation is effective but has a much higher price tag.
What Is the Best Type of Insulated Garage Doors
The short answer is, Polyurethane is the best type of garage door insulation.
- It provides the highest R-Value of R‑16 per inch or thickness.
- Since it firmly adheres to various surfaces, it can withstand twice as much flexion resistance as polystyrene.
- It’s denser and thicker, adding more rigidity and support to your garage door.
- Improved sound dampening and climate control, especially in areas with harsh weather.
Do You Need an Insulated Garage Door in Texas?
Whether you need an insulated garage door in Texas depends on your unique needs and preferences. An insulated garage door isn’t a mandatory part of your home in Texas.
Nevertheless, consider an insulated garage door if:
- The material for your garage door is a good heat conductor, such as steel.
- A good rule of thumb is that some insulation is better than none. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) confirms that effective whole-home insulation can reduce air leakage by over 80%, gas bills by 40%, and energy consumption by 25%.
- You need to change or upgrade your garage door.
- Get a lot of work done inside the garage.
- The garage is your space for peace and zen.
Is an Insulated Garage Door Worth It?
Determining whether installing an insulated door is worth it depends on your lifestyle and other factors, such as:
- Whether your garage is attached to your house
- Do you use the garage for other purposes besides storage?
- Any plans to sell your property soon?
- Does your area experience extreme weather variations?
- Are there any pets living in the garage?
Getting an insulated garage door, or even the entire garage, might be a good idea if it’s a yes to most or all of these factors. Otherwise, the investment might not be worth it if you answered no to most or at least three factors.
Your Insulated Garage Doors Experts in Fort Worth
You can’t overlook the benefits of insulated garage doors to Fort Worth property owners. Nevertheless, the many products in the market might make it challenging to pick the right one. At Doorvana, we offer high-quality insulated garage doors from renowned brands to suit your lifestyle, pocket, and home. Contact us if you have any questions. We’re here to help and provide pricing as needed.