Are you shopping for a new garage door but have questions like, “What are sectional garage doors”? If so, you’re in the right spot. At Doorvana, we furnish and install sectional garage doors for homes and businesses, so we feel confident answering some common questions.
What is a sectional garage door?
These garage doors can be identified by individual horizontal sections that operate on their own. Each section has hinges and rollers to help it move along your garage door track. As the door moves up, each section will separate as it nears the bend in the track.
Number of sections
Your sectional garage door will have at least three horizontal sections but could have as many as eight. The number depends on how tall your garage door is and what model garage door you choose.
Why does the number of sections matter? More sections reduce the size and increase the number of decorative panels. A standard one-car short panel 8’x7′ garage door like an Amarr Lincoln has four sections and 16 individual panels. An 8′ tall Lincoln has five sections and 20 panels. Taller sections allow you to have a garage door design that is not as busy as one with shorter sections.
If the number of sections and panels matters to you, the Amarr Classica can be built using taller sections, reducing the number needed to build your door.
Are sectional garage doors insulated?
Insulation, whether polystyrene or polyurethane, can be added to garage door sections. If you’re shopping for a new door, we recommend buying an insulated model from the manufacturer. While there are after-market insulation kits, we’ve found the manufacturers insulate their doors better than a product from Amazon.
Polystyrene insulation is attached to the back of each section and sealed with vinyl. This configuration is referred to as two-layer construction and is fairly common.
Most polyurethane insulated panels have a steel backing. Unlike a vinyl-backed insulated door, the steel backing can’t be ripped or torn off, exposing insulation. This configuration is known as three-layer construction because the insulation is sandwiched between two sheets of steel.
Are sectional and overhead garage doors the same thing?
No. Overhead garage doors refer to the direction the doors open, while sectional refers to the construction. Overhead doors encompass other garage door types like rolling doors, canopy doors, and security doors.
How much do sectional garage doors cost?
Sectional garage doors can range from $1,500 – $10,000+ based on your selections. Your price is dictated by the material, style, finish, and options you choose.
A white, 8×7 non-insulated steel garage door, would be at or near the bottom of the price spectrum, while a chevron patterned Douglas fir wood garage door with glass and stain would be at or near the top.
Sectional Garage Door Materials
Several factors affect which garage door material you ultimately choose. Considerations include:
- Style preferences
- Weather conditions
- Security concerns
Sectional garage doors serve both residential and commercial property owners. Choosing the right material is a crucial first step.
- Steel: Low-maintenance, durable, and budget-friendly, steel garage doors are a popular option. There are multiple finish and gauge choices. A heavier steel like 24 or 25 ga withstands impacts better than thinner steel. Insulation is another important consideration with steel doors, as including it conserves energy and reduces noise.
- Wood: Wood adds warmth and is considered a premium garage door option. Wood doors can be customized to meet most designs and are normally stained but can be painted as well. Although one of the most expensive options that require regular maintenance, wood garage doors are often seen as the most attractive and offer the biggest boost to your curb appeal.
- Aluminum & Glass: These garage doors offer a sleek modern finish in powder-coated or painted aluminum and glass panels. Built to allow light into your garage door, aluminum and glass garage doors are the most expensive option because each panel has to be secured in place. Steel and wood doors are built in sections, making them less labor-intensive.
- Faux Wood: Steel designed to look like wood, faux wood garage doors replicate the unique texture of natural wood species. They add interest to the home’s exterior, and faux wood doors are moisture-resistant and low maintenance.
- Fiberglass: In addition to faux wood, homeowners can also select standard and custom paint finishes for their fiberglass sectional garage doors. This durable material withstands the legendary North Texas summer heat and requires minimal maintenance.
How are spring sizes figured on sectional garage doors?
We’ve created a garage door spring and weight chart with guidelines for finding the correct torsion spring size. Some key takeaways include:
- A single-car garage with a 10′ or smaller door usually requires one spring.
- Two-car garages with an opening of 10’3″ or wider typically need two springs.
- A 2″ diameter spring size is optimal.
Who makes sectional garage doors?
Multiple manufacturers throughout the United States make quality standard and custom sectional garage doors. They also offer electrical components to assist with the operation as well as service and repair. Some of the most recognizable names include:
- H.I. OHD
- Overhead Door
- Wayne Dalton
Where To Buy Sectional Garage Doors
Whether you need to install a new system or need your current door repaired, the first step is finding a reliable resource. We’ve compiled a list of the top local sectional garage door businesses in the Fort Worth and North Texas areas.
- A broad range of stylish garage doors.
- In-house manufacturer of wood garage doors.
- Quick estimates over the phone via call, text, or email.
- Free service diagnostic
5001 Mosson Rd.
Fort Worth, TX 76119
Legacy Overhead Door
- We passed background screening by Google and Thumbtack
- Uniformed technicians, marked vehicles, Insured for your protection
- We can email detailed quotes within 10 minutes
- Never pay for on-site diagnosing or after hours service
10604 Astor Dr
Fort Worth, TX 76244
Viking Overhead Door
“Viking Overhead is the best choice for first-class Garage Door Repair. Providing the best customer service for your garage door is our number one priority. We believe every customer of ours is family. We will always treat your home with the same care and respect as our own! As a garage door repair company that’s veteran-owned and operated, we know what it means to serve in a courteous, fair and professional manner. We are dedicated and very passionate about excellent service and unmatched customer satisfaction.”
5333 E FM 1887 Ste 100
Burleson, TX 76028
How much do sectional garage doors weigh?
While we encourage you to call the professionals when you have a problem with your garage door system, we also promote gathering basic knowledge about its form and function.
For instance, one key piece of information necessary for ordering the correct spring is typically the door’s weight. Garage doors can range from 83 pounds for a single-layer 8X7 uninsulated steel door to 278 pounds for a 16X7 triple-layer insulated steel Amarr Classica CL3000.
We’ve compiled step-by-step instructions for how to weigh a garage door along with a chart listing Amarr steel door weights.
Trust Doorvana for All Your Garage Door Needs in the Fort Worth Area
Doorvana is a reliable resource you can trust with your garage door needs in the Fort Worth area. Contact one of our customer service reps at (817) 500-5988 for assistance with parts, installation, or repair.