Are you looking for a new garage door to improve your curb appeal and add value? If so, you may consider a fiberglass garage door. Fiberglass garage doors have an appealing finish that adds aesthetic appeal to any home. Read on as we explore what they offer and everything else you need to know about this type of door.
How Are They Made?
Fiberglass is a lightweight composite composed of tiny woven or knitted glass fibers. They are then coated with a resin binder to strengthen and harden them for added longevity.
The end product is:
- Low maintenance
- Resistant to termites and other bugs
- Has a high strength-to-weight ratio
- Design versatility
- Corrosion, fire, and UV resistant
Fiberglass is suited for use in various areas, including insulation, construction, manufacturing, automotive, marine, electronics, wind energy, and sports equipment.
Just like there are different types, designs, and styles of fiberglass garage doors available, there are different manufacturers.
The leading manufacturers include:
Each of these manufacturers has unique products. You can rest assured of getting the ideal fiberglass garage door for your property.
Should You Buy Fiberglass Garage Doors?
Like any other home improvement project, it’s critical to weigh the pros and cons of your materials.
Here are the benefits and drawbacks of installing a fiberglass garage door:
- Durability and can withstand harsh weather, albeit to a certain degree.
- Resistant to corrosion, dents, scratches, rust, fire, termites, and UV radiation.
- Low maintenance.
- Affordable compared to other materials,
- Environmentally friendly and require less manufacturing energy.
- Vulnerability to cracking, especially under extreme pressure or impact from high winds, hail, or frequent severe weather.
- Limited color options.
- Limited design options.
- Limited manufacturers
- Challenging to repair, as the surface is hard to patch or fill in.
- Less customizable than other materials, such as wood, which you can tailor to your exact preferences.
- Vulnerability to fading.
- Low insulation with an R-value of 2.9 – 3.8 per inch.
The beauty of fiberglass is its low maintenance requirements.
If you are a DIYer, maintaining your fiberglass garage door is a piece of cake; just follow these simple tips:
- Clean the door regularly using a mild soap and water solution, then rinse. Avoid abrasive cleaners or pressure washing, as it could jeopardize the door’s integrity.
- Wax the door at least twice annually to protect the door finish against fading.
- Inspect the door for damages, such as cracks, chips, or other damage. Repair any damage you spot promptly.
- Lubricate the door’s hinges and rollers to keep them running smoothly.
- Inspect the door’s weatherstripping and replace it if damaged.
- Test the door’s opening and closing mechanism to ensure it’s working properly and repair any malfunctions you may find.
- Contact a fiberglass garage door expert from Doorvana to conduct a comprehensive inspection, maintenance, and repairs.
Maintaining your fiberglass garage door is an effective way to keep it pristine for years.
How Do I Choose the Ideal Fiberglass Garage Door for My Fort Worth Property?
- Design – you’ll want a design that compliments your property’s style and enhances its curb appeal.
- Quality and reputation – a reputable manufacturer or dealer most likely offers high-quality fiberglass garage doors and services.
- Warranty – so you can have peace of mind and heart knowing your fiberglass garage door will be in service in line with its lifespan.
- Insulation requirements – this applies depending on how you use your garage.
- Size and shape – go for a garage door that best fits your garage and allows effortless access to your garage.
- Your budget – choose a dealer that emphasizes quality but offers competitive prices.
- Customer service – choose a manufacturer or dealer with impeccable customer support if you need help with your garage door.
Despite all these factors, choosing the ideal fiberglass garage door depends on your needs and preferences.
Fiberglass garage doors have their pros and cons. They have fewer design options, but whatever you opt for is sure to spruce up any home or business. If you’re in the market for a new fiberglass garage door and live in the DFW area, we would love to assist you in finding the perfect style that fits your needs and budget. So what are waiting for? Reach out today to get started on finding your dream fiberglass garage door! Call 817.500.5988 or book your estimate to learn more about our wide range of fiberglass garage doors.